I’m a little naive about travel sims and roaming charges, I’ve heard about people being stung with massive phone bills whilst being away on holiday. So I’ve been wondering how to save Google Maps to my iPhone 5 so I can view them offline. Basically, once the maps are saved (up-to six saved offline maps), you can view them in offline mode without an internet connection, make sure your GPS is turned ON though. A handful of Google Map features, i.e 3D buildings, satellite, terrain, directions and navigation aren’t available offline.
No need to fret though, you only really need a set of eyeballs and street names, and you’re pretty much on your way ;)
Follow These Quick Steps:
- Type destination into the Google Maps search bar and tap search (Type “OK Maps” in the search box when looking at a map for a quick save offline option).
- On the bottom off the screen tap on the destination once (This expands the view and you should see call, save and share options).
- Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page.
- Tap ‘Save map to use offline’.
- Here you have the option of ‘panning and zooming’ your selected map, once happy with your map just tap on ‘Save’.
- Name your map and tap on save one last time!
- Hey Presto! Your map has been saved and is ready to view offline.
- If you’d like to check your saved maps, simply tap on your little profile icon up in the right-hand corner of your screen and scroll down to ‘Nearby Saved Places’.